Refunds should always be made via the Merchant panel to the customer's payment. This ensure that the refunds is made to the same payment method that was originally used. It also eliminates unnecessary invoices being sent to customers when they use Buy now, Pay later payment methods. Most refunds are processed automatically, but in a few cases, the refund is handled via email (see instructions below).
Please note that the maximum refund amount is the total amount of the payment. Refunds will be deducted from the merchant's merchant account. So please make sure that your merchant account balance is sufficient to make the refund. You can also transfer funds to your account if necessary.
Refunds via the new Merchant panel
1. Log in to the Merchant panel.
2. From the menu of the left side of the home page, click on Payments.
3. Use the appropriate search options to find the payment you want to refund.
4. From the Latest payments list, click on the payment to view the payment details. You can find additional instructions on searching for payments here.
5. Scroll down to the Order content and refunds section and enter the amount of the refund.
The customer can be reimbursed for a full or partial refund just enter the desired refund amount. The comment field is not sent to the customer and can be used to make your own comments.
6. Click Refund to complete the refund.
You can require separate creation and approval for refunds. In this case, two different users are required to complete the refund. When this setting is on, you can set the "Initiating refunds" and "Refund approval" roles for users. You can find instructions for setting user roles in our Help Center. Refund approval can be activated in the Merchant panel under Merchant account.
You can browse refunds from the same location (Payments from the menu of the left side of the home page). From the search options, click Show more to see the Refunds field.
- Refunded payments: The search retreives payments that have been either partially or fully refunded.
- Refunds: The search retrieves refunds made to payments. This means refunds only, without the associated initial payments.
- Refunded payments and refunds: The search retrieves refunded payments and refunds made to payments. In other words, it shows the results of the two searches mentioned above, only in the same search.
- Email refunds: The search retrieves refunds where the customer was sent an email to ask their account number so we could make the refund.
Refunds are made to the customer either directly through the refund interface or as an email refund. The refund process is the same from the merchant’s perspective, but in an email return, the customer provides their account number for the refund.
Email refunds apply to refunds for S-Pankki, Ålandsbanken bank payments or payments older than 13 weeks from Nordea. The Merchant panel offers an email refund whenever the bank interface refuses the refund.
How to make an email refund
1. Follow steps 1 to 6 in the instructions above.
2. After clicking Refund, enter your customer’s email address. The customer will receive an email with a link in the message to provide their account number. When entering their account number, the customer's identity is verified.
Canceling an email refund
If necessary, the email refund can be canceled. In this case, the email refund must be in a New status.
1. From the menu of the left side of the home page, click on Payments.
2. Click on Show more to search for email refunds.
3. From the Refunds field, select Email refunds and from the Status field select New.
4. From the Latest payments list, click on the payment to view the payment details and click Cancel refund. After that, the email refund link will be closed and no longer available. In this case, the refund has not yet been deducted from the payment.