Making refunds is easy in Shopify's platform, because it can be done directly through the order management:
- Make sure you have enough funds in your merchant account to process the refund.
If you have just received a settlement from us to your bank account, and your merchant account doesn't have enough funds, you can transfer money to your merchant account via the Merchant panel. Transferring money via the Merchant panel requires that you have a Finnish bank account.
- Find the order that you want to make a refund to.
- Return the products to the inventory, when Shopify suggests making a refund, or select "Refund" from the top of the page:
- Enter the amount you want to refund to the customer in the "Refund amount" field and press the green "Refund" button. Then the refund will be made to the customer's original payment method by Paytrail:
- Finally, if you wish, you can confirm the successful refund from the "Timeline" view of the order:
Shopify refunds FAQ:
Can I accidentally do a refund twice?
No worries. When you start a refund in Shopify, it is automatically displayed for that order in the Merchant panel as well. If you first make a refund through the Merchant panel, Shopify's refund will show an error, and the additional refund will not be processed.
If unsure, you can always check the payment refund history in the Merchant panel before starting the refund.
Does there need to be funds in Paytrail's merchant account when the refund is made?
In order to make a refund, the merchant account must have funds equal to the refund amount. You can transfer money to the merchant account via the Merchant panel. Transferring money via the Merchant panel requires that you have a Finnish bank account.
How do I track the progress of the refund in Shopify?
If the refund is successful, a notification about the refund of the payment will be shown on the timeline:
If the refund is not successful (for example, because the refund has already been made through the Merchant panel), an error message will appear on the timeline:
Is it possible to make several partial refunds for an order?
Are the refund details visible in the Merchant panel even though they are created in Shopify?
Is the refund fee the same even if the refund is made in Shopify?
Paytrail's fees for refunds are the same regardless of where they are created. The refund is always charged according to our valid price list.